Hola!
I'm finally here in Madrid and basically settled in which means its time to start my blog. I was going to start it earlier in the midst of fighting for my luggage and hunting for an apartment but i somehow lost track of time and never got around to it, soooo here it goes for all who care to follow :)
My trip here was absolute insanity and those of you who know me well have probably heard the story 20 times, so i shall spare you the details. I quickly was thrown into learning the city, the metro, adapting to Spanish, and living with a family I had never met. My host family has been absolutely amazing. My host mom threatened to call the US embassy for my when my luggage didn't arrive for a week and she's an absolute amazing cook! I couldn't have asked for a better family. After getting lost once on the metro, I learned the signs are there for a reason and if you follow them, you will surely find your way. As for the Spanish aspect, its a daily struggle and sometimes I just want to scream at people to speak English. I'm getting to the point where I can't spit out English on some days but I also can't communicate fully in Spanish. This makes for interesting conversations.
My next task was to find an apartment, which I accomplished. I move in next week and will be living with 3 Spanish boys, one Spanish girl, and one French boy. I'm super excited to have a bit more independence and start the next phase of my time here in Spain.
Classes also started this week. It amazes me how laid back the professors are here. Everything is completely disorganized by American standards and they are NEVER on time. It is going to take some getting used to but my classes seem interesting thus far.
The hardest part about adapting here is the time schedule. Most stores are closed daily between 2-430, which also seems to be the time of the day that I need something. Also, the meal schedule is completely different. Dinner isn't until 9 or 10 at night and lunch is at 230. My stomach is still a little confused but hopefully it will adapt soon!
Last weekend some people from my program and I went to Sevilla! The weather and scenery was absolutely amazing. There are palm trees everywhere and it really feels like traditional Spain, which is something Madrid can occasionally lack with its 4.5 million people and constant hustle and bustle. I got to see Krista and Sully, some brothers from AKPsi, which was wonderful! The scenery between Madrid and Sevilla is also gorgeous. I can't wait to keep traveling!
I'm starting to get very close to people on my program and really settling in. Madrid is an amazing city and its really starting to feel like home. There are definitely ups and downs and days of frustration but overall I feel like I'm adapting very well. I have already learned so much about myself and become so much more independent in the past few weeks. I can't wait to see what the rest of my adventure holds! I'll be sure to keep you all updated!
♥
Court
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment